1) Go with a group! First, it will make time fly by. Second, your friends will hold you accountable to get off the couch and enjoy the outdoors.
2) Check your heart rate. It is important that your heart rate is at 60-70% of your maximum to ensure you are burning fat the entire time.
3) Increase the duration. By walking for 45 minutes or longer, you will begin to use fat as your energy source.
4) Use a fitness app. This will help you track where you go and you can see how many calories you have burned!
5) Make sure you have good walking shoes. You can improve your posture and form by walking in good supportive shoes.
6) Add intervals to your walk. Experts suggest walking at a warm up pace for two minutes, briskly walking for the next two minutes and then running for 30 seconds. Continue to repeat this cycle your entire walk. In the end, you are raising your heart rate periodically which leads to a bigger calorie burn.
7) Mix it up! Don’t let yourself get bored by walking the same trail every time. Find routes that have different terrain such as sand or gravel. You will use different muscle groups and strengthen your core.
8) Have fun! In the end, staying active is about being healthy and having fun at the same time.