1) Find your motivation. We’ve all been there, when life is thrown at you. You feel as if you’re going through the motions with no goal in sight. The best way to ensure you stay active is to know what drives you. Don’t focus on just being healthy. Find the main motivator to your actions. Do you struggle with depression and need an outlet? Has someone in your family dealt with health issues? Being able to pinpoint a specific motivator for you will allow the results such as a healthier lifestyle come that much easier!
2) Focus on doing one thing a day. Going to the gym every day is unrealistic, unless you’re Dwayne ‘The Rock’ Johnson. Find something every day that keeps you on your feet! Such as walking the dog, cleaning the house, or going for a bike ride. Did you know that the average person burns 167 calories in 30 minutes when cleaning windows? This is a great excuse to keeping the house clean!
3) Join a fitness class. There are so many fitness classes around you, you probably have no idea! A lot of them even offer free trials. Don’t be afraid to try something new such as hot yoga, Pilates, cross fit or even karate! The options are endless.
4) Track your steps. Have you gotten your 10,000 steps for the day? According to research, an active person gets that many steps or more. A great way to do this is through a fitness tracker such as a Fitbit or the Apple watch. Also, most iPhones will automatically track your steps in the health app when it is on your person. Happy stepping!
5) Download a group fitness app. A great motivator to living an active lifestyle is our friends and family! However, it can be hard to coordinate such busy schedules during the week. The solution to this problem is to use a group fitness app. Applications like Strava allow you to track and share your activities with your friends and family, as well as tracking your own performance over time. This app is great if you are biking, running, or hiking!
6) Plan. Plan. Plan. Let’s be honest... do you ever get to the gym after work if it was not set in stone? Probably not. This is why it is so important to plan out your day! By setting an intention for the rest of your day, the more likely you will accomplish everything on your to-do list.
7) Always remember to have fun. The key to staying active is to do things that you enjoy! If you don’t like going to the gym, try something else. Pick up a sport, find a hobby, or create a walking group with your friends. Whatever it is, have fun with it!
As you can see, living an active lifestyle does not have to be hard or boring. It can be easy and fun! Take little actions everyday that will better your health in the future.
By: Center for Lifetime Health